Thursday, March 18, 2010

Mila Sleeping in the Swing

We'd heard so much about baby swings -- even from our pediatrician -- that we went out and bought one about a month ago. Originally I was going to buy one before she was born, but our friend Karina gave us her bouncy chair and I figured she didn't need a swing if she had a bouncy chair. Same difference, right? Noooooo.... they're two different things! While the bouncy chair has been great, she's never slept in it and everyone we talked to swore that if we got a swing she would. Everyone would tell us how much they loved their swing and that it was their best baby purchase. Well, with all these promises, we went out and bought the swing that we planned on getting all along: Graco Sweetpeace Newborn Soothing Center I read in my go-to book for baby gear recommendations Baby Bargains that this swing would work great. What I really liked about it is that it's able to swing in 2 directions either back and forward or side to side and that you can switch out the seat to the Graco carseat. It also plugs into the wall instead of running on batteries. Plus it had great online reviews. Sounded like the perfect swing.

Jorge went out and bought it after work and he put it together as soon as he got home. We tested it out, put on some music and then put her in it and expected the swing to work it's magic.... instead what we got was a screaming baby crying out bloody murder! She seemed to hate it! We were so disappointed!

I was persistant though, I'd keep trying every few days or so and little by little she'd tolerate it a bit more. For the last few weeks she could last up to about 15 minutes in it without crying, but she'd never fall asleep. I was happy with that though! Fifteen minutes gives me a chance to make some lunch!

Then, today, a miracle happened. I put her in while she was awake, just to grab a snack. She was in a good mood and recently fed and changed. While I made my sandwich I looked up and saw this:



I couldn't believe it!! She'd fallen asleep in the swing!! Unfortunately, because of the construction going on across the street, she woke up after about 5 minutes. But later that day I put her in again and she was asleep for TWO HOURS!!! It was amazing! I couldn't believe it! During the day the usual place she'll fall sleep is on my lap after nursing. Whenver I've tried picking her up and taking her to her bassinet, she's ALWAYS woken up. So I'd given up trying and just let her sleep on my lap. At least I'd get some peace and quiet for a little while, but I was a prisoner to my chair! Fortunately, I have my laptop set up here, so whenever she naps on my lap, I go online and blog. ;) But now I just was so happy to be mobile without the baby in my arms! I felt free! I was even able to make dinner BEFORE Jorge got home and we were even able to have dinner at the same time! Usually we have to eat in shifts because someone has to hold her. But not today! It was wonderful. I'm sooo loving the swing! Woo-hoo! Seems like she just needed to get used to it. This was a big accomplishment! Let's hope she continues to like it! :)

1 comment:

  1. Good job following through! A win-win for you and Mila!
    GG

    ReplyDelete

Drop us a line!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails