Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sept. 11th - 10 Year Anniversary

34 weeks, 3 days pregnant

Today is the 10 year anniversary of that terrible day on September 11th, 2001. I remember where I was day... I was a 20 year old college student doing the morning shift at the ice-cream store I worked at. I was listening to the radio as I prepared to open the store and that's when I heard the news. I didn't see any of the footage until 6 hours later when I got home from work. That's when I really was able to somewhat grasp the devastation of what had happened. There were so many people that really felt like they were a part of it since they saw it all happening live, but I always felt a bit more detached since I saw only bits of it so much time afterwards. This year, however, being that it was the 10 year anniversary, CNN and other channels created video retrospectives with interviews of the survivors. It was absolutely incredible. I was so moved by the bravery of so many people. I came across a Facebook page called Treat A Hero where I read,

"September 11th is a day we will never forget. Because our children are too young to share the details with about that tragic day, we have decided that the best way to honor the heroes of 9/11 is to teach our kids about real heroes. Not spiderman, or superman, or Buzz Lightyear but everyday heroes like firefighters, police, first responders, soldiers, sailors and airmen. On September 11th we will be taking our children around town to meet these heroes. We will be bringing them gifts of wrapped store bought baked goods as a simple, but hopefully meaningful token of our appreciation."

I thought it was such a wonderful way to commemorate the day. I told Jorge my idea and he suggested perhaps it might not be allowed. Or maybe it would be crowded? Was there an organized event for something like this? So I looked up the phone number for the fire station near our apartment and I gave them a call. I was a bit nervous, but I told them my name and I told them that my family and I were so grateful for what they do everyday, and in honor of September 11th, we would like to stop by and drop off some goodies for the firefighters. The man who answered (I'm assuming was a fire fighter) excitedly replied, "Sure! What time are you coming by?" I said we could be there in a couple of hours. I was so happy! I thought it was such a small gesture, but it was the very least we could do. We went to Publix, picked up some fruit (they're fire fighters right, they like to eat healthy I'm sure!) as well as some pie and other yummy goodies (cuz I'm sure they'd like some of the really good stuff too!). We went to the fire station, but surprisingly, there was no parking area. We had to park across the street and we walked to the fire station. We got to the door and we had to knock. We waited until someone came to the door. I don't know why, but I was really nervous! Seemed like we were the only ones there. For some reason, I thought other people would be going there too, but it didn't look like it. A man opened the door and I explained who we were. Everyone was so nice and welcoming! It was lunchtime and the fire fighters were all gathered in the kitchen area. We were just there briefly, but it was nice to meet them and to say hello. Mila was a bit shy but I'm hoping next year we can really get into it and bake something from scratch together to bring to them. On our way out, they asked if Mila would like to see the firetruck. We said sure! Jorge and I were more excited to see the truck than she was though, haha! I got a picture of Mila and Jorge in front of it and then one of the fire fighters asked if she'd like to go in it? So exciting!


And then asked if I wanted to get in! Hell yeah! 
They had to help me and my 8 month pregnant ass up there, but I made it in! Haha!!



I'm so happy to be able to start a tradition with my family - especially with Mila and with the new baby to express gratitude for the work they do. God forbid we ever require their services, but it's nice to meet them and thank them for what they do every day. Thank God for our everyday heroes!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop us a line!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails