Sunday, June 27, 2010

Exclusive Breastfeeding For First Six Months

I thought this was an interesting article about breastfeeding. Mila is still exclusively breastfed and we plan on holding off giving her anything solids until this weekend, when she's officially 6 months old. I've read much on the topic and I really believe this is what's best for Mila, but I know a few people are surprised to hear that I haven't given her any food or water or juices yet, and I thought this article might help ease any concerns and help others understand our decision. I appreciate everyone's input though! :)

On CNN just last week, they reported another study that supports exclusive breastfeeding for first six months of life. The article says that exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months – where a baby is only given breast milk, no formula or solid food or fruit juice or even water – can significantly reduce their baby's risk of serious lung and intestinal infections. While the benefits of breastmilk are known, "they found that babies who were exclusively breastfed for more than four months had a 'significant reduction of respiratory and gastrointestinal diseases in infants.'  They also found that being breastfed until six months of age seemed to be even more protective and even appeared to reduce the number of infections for the next six months of the child's life."

It's a very interesting article. See the article on CNN's webiste for the full story: http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/21/new-study-supports-exclusive-breastfeeding-for-first-six-months/?hpt=Sbin

Here's a short clip of the report on CNN:

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this Connie! Validates my plans to breastfeed my bebe for at least a year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you find this helpful! I'm also planning to breastfeed at least a year. It's not an easy job, but totally worth it!!!

    Good luck with your pregnancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Connie and great job keeping Mila exclusive breastfeeding for 6 month!! I had a hard time with people not understanding why Liv didn't have any cereal by 4 month and now that she's 13 month why she hasn't had any juice, sugar or cow milk. Mila is a very lucky baby, having a momma that works so hard on giving her the best she can give.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Karina! That's so nice of you to say! That "Attachment Parenting Book" you sent is what started all of this for me. I'm so much more aware of the benefits of doing things more naturally and at a slower pace, like exclusive breastfeeding, introducing solids, spacing out the vaccines... So informative!! I've learned a lot from you, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Drop us a line!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails