Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mila Making Progress

The whole weekend I spent it pumping every couple of hours... we were sleep deprived by the end, but I was determined to plump my baby up for our doctor's appointment! I called the Lactation Consultant that our doctor recommended, and with her tips I was able to pump more. I thought for sure we were making progress!! Where before I was only able to pump 1-2oz, now I was pumping 2-3oz! On Monday, we went to our appointment, and I was confident she was gaining weight -- she was getting so much more now! But the news was not so good -- she did gain weight, but she only gained 1 oz, and that was not enough. The doctor told us we had to supplement with formula. I was so disappointed that what I was pumping wasn't enough, but I was doing all I could. The pump just isn't as effective as a baby would be in getting out the milk and increasing my supply. I just needed more time -- just a few more days to heal, then she'd be back on the breast. Our doctor wanted us to pump and give her whatever we were able to get, and then give her formula to supplement until she was full. It was so dissappointing to give it to her -- I really felt overwhelmed and sad. I wanted so badly to be the perfect mom for her -- and already I wasn't able to give her her basic need -- food! :( It was a really sensitive time for me... I was sleep deprived, exhausted, overwhelmed, sore from my stiches... But when we started giving her the formula on Monday, we saw an immediate change in her mood. She definitely slept longer and didn't cry as much. So sad to think she was crying because she was hungry!






Wednesday, we had another follow-up appointment with the pediatrician to see if she'd gained weight. So to recap: She was born at 7 lbs. 6 oz. and by the time we were discharged from the hospital 2 days later, she'd lost weight (which is normal) and weighed 6 lbs. 13 oz. So she lost 9 oz. She was expected to be gaining weight by that first pediatrician appointment 2 days later, so that by her two week apointment she would back at her birth weight -- that was the goal. But instead, she lost another 2 oz at the first appointment and was weighing 6 lbs. 8 oz. At the follow-up appointment on Monday (one week after her birth) she'd gained only an ounce and was then at 6 lbs. 9 oz, which was progress, but still wasn't enough -- she would have to gain 13 oz in one week in order to regain her birth weight! She certainly wasn't making that kind of progress when she was on breastmilk, due to the limited quantity I was pumping. Now that she was being supplemented with formula though, by her second follow-up appointment on Wednesday -- just 2 days later -- she had gained a whopping 11 of the 13 oz she needed to gain!! Needless to say, the pediatrician was pleased and said she was doing well. Jorge and I were so happy she was gaining weight! I still need a few more days to heal, but I plan on trying to put her back on by the end of the week and seeing how I feel. I'm comforted knowing she won't be on formula for long and that the boobs will be back in order in just a couple of days... For now, at least Mila is healthy and satisfied, and that's the most important thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop us a line!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails