Friday, January 15, 2010

Breastfeeding Again!

With some encouragement from Jorge, I went to the Breastfeeding Support group provided by the hospital. I was very reluctant to go since it's so far away and coordinating the outing with her feedings are difficult, especially since she eats every 2 hours and she takes about 45 minutes to eat, so I only have maybe an hour and a half in between. But thanks to Jorge's encouragement, he took me to the meeting and I met with Carrie, the Lactation Consultant from the hospital. Although I was feeling much better with the soreness, I still felt I needed a few more days to make sure it was completely healed. Carrie is great, but she's a tough lady and I half expected her to tell me to suck it up and just put her on the breast despite the sensitivity -- which is another reason I was reluctant to go to the support group. However, as soon as she met with me and I explained that I was still sore, she recommended something called Nipple Shields.


Carrie brought me one and helped me get Mila latched on. I cringed, expecting pain.... but there was none. I was in shock! Mila was on for a full feeding -- and for the first time there was no pain! The nipple shield covers the entire nipple and protects it from the friction in the baby's mouth, so now I can use it until I'm fully healed. Carrie hadn't recommended it at the hospital because nipple shields shouldn't be used during the first days after after birth. A mother only has colstrum those first days and colustrum is hard to extract with a nipple shield in place. Once a mother's milk comes in, a nipple shield can help.

So now I can finally breastfeed again! No more supplementing!!! I can't tell you how incredibly excited I am!!!!!!!!! :)




Mila's little sleep smiles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop us a line!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails