Monday, November 9, 2009

Bradley Classes

31 weeks, 4 days

These last few weeks have been quite eventful to say the least! When looking into childbirth classes a few weeks ago, I met a girl online on TheBump.com message boards who teaches Bradley Classes, which is a method of childbirth -- kinda like Lamaze. (Lamaze is one method and Bradley is another. Where Lamaze focuses on breathing, Bradley focuses on relaxation.) I read up on the classes and I was interested because they say they are focused on a "husband-coached childbirth" where the husband plays an active role in supporting the mom and where the husband learns a lot about what he can do to help the mom through labor. It sparked my interest. I thought it might help Jorge learn more about labor and birth... I didn't realize how much I'd be learning myself! I asked the girl about the classes and she sent me the curriculum... and I was really impressed! This would be a 12-week course, for 2 hours once a week. The hospital offered a course as well, but it was for only 4 weeks, 2 hours each class. How much could one possibly learn in such a short period of time?? The Bradley Classe seemed more in-depth, covering everything from nutrtion, to labor techniques, to breastfeeding and postpartum. The girl teaching the class even offered that we could just take the first 3 classes and if we liked them and decided to continue, that we could pay then. It was a good incentive. So Jorge and I went... and it totally changed our perspective on birth. We also started reading "The Husband-Coached Childbirth" by Dr. Robert Bradley. We have learned SO much. I feel so educated on my birth experience and what my options are as a patient... I don't just have to blindly follow the doctor's instructions. I know what questions I should ask so that I know what's going on and why, and if it's really the best for me and my baby. I feel so educated and empowered!! It's given me a whole new perspective on childbirth! I HIGHLY recommend this book and the Bradley classes. The only thing I regret is not learning about this earlier!

The class really focuses on natural childbirth and it has really motivated us to have that as our goal. We talked about our goals with our current OB and realized that neither her nor the hospital we were planning on going to were very natural-birth friendly. I did a ton of research and we started touring other hospitals in the area. I had a bunch of questions (you'd be surprised how very few questions people usually ask on these tours!) and the nurses were always impressed by everything I'd ask. We toured about 6 hospitals and one Birth Center, as well as doctors and midwives that delivered at those different places. Finally, we found one place that met all of our criteria. It's a bit further than what we would like (about 35 minutes away), but it's more important to us to have a hospital that we are comfortable with than to have it nearby.

A friend then told me about her friend that just gave birth at this hospital and said she loved her doctor. She sent me the link to their website and I saw they had OBs as well as certified nurse-midwives in their practice. (Now I know that when I first heard the term "midwife" my first thought was someone giving birth in a barn! Haha! But the more I've read up on it, I've learned that these midwives do everything an OB can do except perform C-sections. Since they don't perform surgeries, they are more likely to have more experience with natural births and really encourage them.) So I set up an appointment with one of the midwives, Terry, and I was really impressed with how she explained everything and really took her time to answer all my questions. Jorge really liked her too! She had plenty of experience with natural births and was very accomodating to all of my requests for my birth. She was above and beyond any of the others we interviewed, and even at the nurses at the hospital raved about her! So after careful consideration, Jorge and I decided to go with her. Changing care practicioners at 31 weeks was a huge decision, but Jorge and I are sure this is what is best for us and our baby. We feel much more at ease with Terry, she really listens to what we have to say and communicates our options with us, and that is very important. I really feel like I'm more than a number and that she really cares.

Last week I made it official. I called my old OB and transferred my medical records to the new midwife and tomorrow Jorge and I have our first appointment. So excited!!! Looking forward to telling you how it goes!

There's so much more that I could go into regarding the Bradley Method, but I know I won't do it justice. If you'd like more information on the it, check out this link: www.BradleyBirth.com.

If you're interested in taking the Bradley Class in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, the classes are offered here: www.ourbeautifulbirth.com.

As I mentioned, I compiled a bunch of questions to ask at Hospital Tours, Birth Center Tours, OBGYN/Midwife Interviews, as well as Doula Interviews. You can download them by clicking on the links. I also put together my Birth Plan, in case you'd like to take a look. I did a ton of research putting these together. Hope they are useful for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop us a line!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails