Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Strep Throat, Antibiotics and Breast Feeding

Last week on Thursday I was feeling really run down. I thought it might be from our day at the Fountains at the Baby Class and didn't think much of it. Then Friday I woke up with a really bad sore throat. Ugh. Then came headaches and hot flashes and cold flashes, which later I realized was a fever.... not a good weekend. Monday Jorge convinced me to go to the doctor. After she took a look at my throat and seeing I had no congestion and still had a fever, she was convinced I had strep throat. But the strep test would take a week to get the results and since I had already been sick for 4 days, she wanted to start me on antibiotics as soon as possible. She said my throat looked really bad and that it was most likely strep. If it wasn't strep, the antibiotics would kill the virus anyway. Ugh--- I was dreading that she would want to put me on antibiotics! Since I'm still nursing, I'm always concerned about any medicine I take. I was even reluctant to take ibuprofen for my fever!

I asked her how safe this would be for me to take since I'm nursing. She paused and said everything affects the baby. She thought it would be best for me to stop nursing while I'm on the antibiotics (5-7 days) and give the baby formula until then. When she said this, immediately, I thought, "Ok, then I won't take the antibiotics. I'll just wait it out until I get better." I told her it was very important for me to keep breast feeding and that I would rather try something else. But then she said that not treating strep throat effectively could lead rheumatic fever, and that rheumatic fever can cause permanent heart damage! Give up breast feeding, or feel sick for who knows how much longer and risk more health problems. I know the choice was clear, but I was devastated.

I left the doctor's office with a huge lump in my throat. What do I do?????!!!! I couldn't imagine not nursing for a week! I mean, Mila's eating lots of solids, but she still nurses after every meal, as a mid-afternoon snack, before bed and during the night. She doesn't just nurse for nutrition either. She nurses for comfort and closeness. When she's fussy or upset, she nurses and cuddles and feels much better. How could I take this away? I was so not prepared for this news! My mind was racing with all the issues this would arise... Flashbacks of pumping when Mila was just born came back to me -- oh how I HATE pumping! They caused horrible clogged milk ducts too. It was torture! Not to mention that Mila doesn't take a bottle. She doesn't know what to do with it. She used to take a bottle, but it's been months since she's had one and the last time I tried giving her one about a month ago or so, she had no idea what the bottle was. She would just chew on the nipple. How would she get the formula??? And what formula would I use??? I'd have to try different ones - which would be the gentlest on her stomach? How long would it take for me to figure it out? Would she even take the formula?? Would she figure out how to use a bottle? AND that's not even the biggest problem: If I were to stop breast feeding for a week, I know for sure Mila would forget to nurse and she wouldn't take the boob again! I was sobbing at this point.

I called Jorge, who had stayed home with Mila during my appointment, and told him what the doctor had said. Immediately, he suggested calling the pediatrician to ask his opinion. He was right. My doctor is great for me, but the pediatrician knows babies best. He would know what was best for Mila. Brilliant! Why hadn't I thought of that? I left a message with the doctor's office and in the meantime, I looked up on the internet about strep, antibiotics and breastfeeding. Interestingly, everything I read were experiences from moms in my situation where the pediatrician said it was fine to continue breastfeeding. There was hope! The pediatrician returned our call an hour later and laid my fears to rest. He said that the antibiotic I would be taking is a low dose one. That, yes, it will still transfer over into the milk, but that it should have a minimal effect, maybe an upset stomach in the baby. He said he thought it was ok for me to continue breast feeding. I breathed a sigh of relief.

Although I hate the thought of her having anything transfer to her through the milk, I can't imagine the thought of suddenly not nursing anymore. It would be very difficult for both Mila and for me to stop cold turkey. Difficult physically and emotionally. I know I have to wean her at some point, but I plan to do it gradually so we can both adjust.

This experience has made me realize how important breast feeding really is to me. I didn't use to think it was that big of a deal. I almost looked forward to having to nurse anymore. But after almost having to give it up all of a sudden, I see how much it means to me. When Mila nurses and she's curled up in my lap, it's a beautiful bonding experience. I love watching her face and seeing her excitement knowing that she's getting her favorite treat. I love watching her nurse and knowing how happy it makes her. I love when she's done and she's full and ready to play. I love knowing that only I can provide her with that. Not just with that nutrition, but also with that comfort. Yes, it's a pain though when it's 1am or 4am or when I'm in the middle of doing something.... but it's not that bad. I realize I really love it. I can't imagine not having that connection with her anymore... at least not yet. I know we'll stop someday, but I'm just glad that day isn't today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop us a line!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails